Operation Ababil is an operation run by the hacker group “Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Cyber Fighters” that was active during September and October 2012 and targeted major American banks and financial instutions with Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks. The operation was put into force as a revenge attack for an anti-Islam film that was uploaded to the Internet and insulted the prophet of Islam, Muhammed.
Banks that were attacked during Operation Ababil include:
- September 18 2012 - Bank of America
- September 18 2012 - New York Stock Exchange
- September 19 2012 - Chase Bank
- September 25 2012 - Wells Fargo
- September 26 2012 - U.S. Bank
- September 27 2012 - PNC Bank
- October 9 2012 - Capital One Financial Corp.
- October 10 2012 - SunTrust Banks
- October 11 2012 - Regions Financial Corp.
- October 16 2012 - The Capital One Financial Corp.
- October 17 2012 - BB&T Corp.
- October 18 2012 - HSBC Bank USA